Monday, February 7, 2011

Joy of Love: Day 7

Today's Prompt: Generations

Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure that a chip and dip bowl wasn't quite what Kelly had in mind when she posted today's prompt, generations. But this chip and dip bowl was handed down to me from my Grandmother, who used it a TON. Since I've had it, I too have used it a ton. [And yes, people kinda made fun of my retro bowl, but I didn't care, I've always loved it]

One day [October 31st, 2010 @ about 2:30 pm to be exact] I was sitting in my kitchen with my Mum and these girls: [I had a house full of kids, for a Halloween Party, and I was quietening them down with the Charlie Brown Halloween dvd] Come to think of it, it was eerily quiet, with a dozen kids in the house...

and I heard a PING sound... I think we all looked up towards the cupboard, because that's where the sound came from... But to be honest, I didn't think too much about it. Then, one day I went to the cupboard to get my beloved bowl, and this is how I found it. Split in two... A total clean break.

I felt really bad about losing this piece, but I did throw it away... As luck would have it, my Mum had an exact match [well, different color] and gifted it to me! Thanks Mum! I do have a silly sentimental attachment to it!

So, considering that my Mum & Dad are wintering in Arizona, and Barry's Mum & Dad have no plans to come over in the next week or so, I really wanted keep on track, so that's my generation story! [And I do love that chip bowl]


2 comments:

Brownie said...

How sad that it cracked! And I think it's a perfect photo for generations. Something handed down.

I have a glass platter that was my grandmother's and it cracked clean in two. I saved the pieces. I suppose I should just throw it, it serves no purpose the way it is!

mindy b. said...

So sorry to hear about the bowl! Things like that are always heartbreaking. The story, though, is a great take on 'generations.' Awesome job!
- From a fellow joy of LOVE participant :)