Monday, January 24, 2011

So Windy...

We're onto day 5 of a chinook here. What does that mean? It means we have had a huge temperature shift, the temperature is on the plus side of zero, but it's WINDY like crazy. And I mean REALLY crazy. Things blowing out of yards crazy. Things getting knocked over, wind chimes getting blown off trees windy...

The wind is good, in a sense, nearly all our snow is melted. It's shocking what has disappeared since Friday. I should have done a before and after picture... Next time I'll have to give it some thought. But with the melted snow, also comes the absolute filth... Filth that you have to see to believe.

The roads are a nightmare, you don't want to leave your house right now, without first checking you're topped up with windshield washer fluid. If you run out, you've got yourself one major problem. You don't really want to wash your car right now, that's not true, you DO want to wash your car, because it's so dirty, but you know that the money is a complete waste, because the moment you leave the car wash, the car will morph back into filth a mere nano second later.

Everything is disgustingly dirty right now [have I mentioned that already?] All the gravel that gets put down for winter driving, is lying all over the roads, just waiting to put a chip in your windshield. Everything is a gross brown/grey color. And the wind... It just never stops. It blows debris into your eyes, it knocks things over, it messes up your hair. It makes opening a car door, quite exciting when you're traveling with kids; they don't understand the delicate nature of not letting the wind catch your door. It causes tears to stream down your cheeks. It even causes headaches. The older I get, the more susceptible I am to chinook headaches, it's awful. Thankfully, the don't often turn into migraines, but every once in awhile... Watch out. The wind does however, melt the snow... I guess that's one positive...

Wait, there is another positive! Just TRY to take a picture of my license plate when I run through a yellow light... [Not that I run through many yellow lights, but at this time of year, I have to admit, it's slightly more tempting to NOT stop!]

Now, having said that I can also tell you first hand, that the police WILL indeed pull you over and threaten to give you a ticket, when they can't read your license plate... This I know from experience... We take our chances here in chinook country... Perhaps tomorrow I'll go through the car wash.


No comments: