Friday, January 28, 2011

It's Starting to Snow

Which makes me laugh a little bit, because I've been waiting for it to start since I picked the girl up from Kindergarten at 11:25. I was greeted by a group of Mum's with this: "Hey, did you hear Calgary has a snowstorm advisory in effect?" As a matter of fact, I hadn't heard. It's always been my experience that the storms they're predicting usually amount to nothing, while the ones they had no idea were coming, usually get us good.

The idea of a snowstorm has me kind of excited on a number of levels. I was picking Mad up from school with a car full of groceries... So we're totally okay food wise. [You know, just in case we're snowed in and all... As if THAT ever happens in this city]. I had picked up heart shaped Reece's Peanut butter cups, after reading this blog yesterday... [Are they still called cups, if they're heart shaped?] And I'll be honest, the peanut butter cups and our lack of milk were the main reason for my trip to the grocery store. Seriously... Did you LOOK at those cookies? They were ALL I could think about this morning, as I was getting the kids out the door for school.

So, the fact that I have Reece's Peanut Butter Hearts at the ready, and that we haven't had a good dump of snow since the beginning of December, have me kind of excited... The alleged amount of snow we're to receive... 25 cms. Yowser, that's 9.8 inches of snow [did that conversion especially for you Mum!]. We've hardly got any snow left, and what is left, is filthy. It's time to freshen the landscape up, and believe me, 25 cms of snow will do that just fine!

And as for the cookies.... Check them out...


I've got 38, oops I mean, 37 of these little gems sitting on the counter just waiting to be consumed... It would be even better eating them while the snow outside is swirling around... They are indeed as good as they look. I did use a different recipe however... The recipe on the blog called for shortening... Ugh... The idea of shortening actually makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. [which might be a bonus, if I begin to eat too many of these] So I googled and searched and decided upon the following recipe:

Peanut Blossom Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix butter, sugars, and peanut butter together until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt, continue beating until well mixed. Add flour and baking soda. Continue beating, scrape bowl often, until well mixed.

Shape dough into 1" rolls [you might have to refrigerate the dough, I didn't have to] Roll balls in the 1/4 cup of sugar, and place 2" apart on cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes, until they become golden in color. Remove from oven, and immediately place chocolate into the center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet. [I had to pop the cookies into the fridge right away, after about half and hour, they were ready to eat...]

Okay alleged snowfall advisory, show us what you've got!

No comments: