Saturday, January 8, 2011

Goals for 2011

I try not to make resolutions. There is something about the word itself... If you resolve to do something [dictionary says this about the word resolve: [verb] to come to a firm decision about something, or cause somebody to do this] It seems so final. Like you either change or you don't. You succeed or you fail. And let's be honest, how many of us succeed with our resolutions? So to me, spouting off a list of 'resolutions' is setting one's self up for sure fire failure.

Having said that, I love the idea of a new year. I love the 'clean-slate' of the calendar. I love the potential that a new beginning brings. So, I do have goals for 2011. Goals is a word that makes so much more sense to me. If you have a goal, then you're looking ahead to achieve something... It doesn't say, if you don't achieve this you fail. To me, if I don't achieve it, then I can re-set my goals.

My 11 goals for 2011 are:

  • to be more organized
  • to be in more pictures
  • to actually do what I say I'm going to do
  • to be a more patient mother... [this one will be a real challenge, I won't lie]
  • to drink more water
  • to drink less coffee
  • to be more thankful for the things I have
  • to simplify [keeping in mind, that I live with Barry, who doesn't understand that word]
  • to spend more time outdoors this year, as a family
  • to know when to say no, and actually say it [I hate over-extending myself]
  • to sort out our basement, laundry room, main floor bathroom and storage room [eeks]
Here is my mantra for 2011. I'm going to put it somewhere I can look at it every day.

No comments: