Monday, August 24, 2009

The Last Monday Before School Starts

I feel a bit melancholy... Part of me is looking forward to the start of a new school year, and part of me is mourning the end of summer. I read a book this weekend (which I thought was utterly ridiculous) Wait a minute, does that imply that I think reading is ridiculous? Or the book? Because I meant the book was ridiculous...

Any way, there was this excerpt in the book that describes EXACTLY how I feel about fall. Here goes: "The calendar clung to September, but Becky was still in mourning for the wide open weeks of summer. A full noisy house, outings to the zoo and pools and canyons. Becky didn't see autumn as a glorious and exciting time of change, wind peeling layers, alternately breathing chill on your neck and cuddling you in the bright bursts of warmth. No. She saw autumn as Not summer." From the book The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale.
So re-read that and change the name from Becky to Candy, and that sums up precisely how I feel. Well, except for the noisy house part. I've had kids in my life for 7 years now, and I still don't do well with too much noise...

So today we're off to get Mason's hair cut before Grade Two starts. (I suppose if I were to keep him home, I could be in denial that I have a child heading into grade two) However, home schooled or not (just kidding) he'd still be doing a grade two curriculum. If I were honest with myself, I think A LOT of my posts are about the kids, who are growing up so rapidly. I sometimes feel like I'm on the sidelines watching from afar. I keep asking myself how/when did that happen? Where did the time go? I'm just trying to enjoy each day.

Did I mention that Mace hasn't had a haircut since the end of June? This is a kid who gets his hair cut every 4 wks, so let me assure you, we're in need. I'll have to do a before and after picture. I doubt we'll ever have this long a stint again. Also, the kids were up SUPER early this morning, playing Pokemon. I mean, playing as in pretending to be the characters. I still don't really understand the whole Pokemon thing. Any way, to make a long story short, we were up around 7:40 this morning, so we're getting in gear for Thursday. Though I know on Thursday I'll have to wrestle him out of bed, and that will be the one day, he'd like to sleep in. Too funny. He's become a bit of a morning person over the past 6 months. (Much to his mother and father's horror).

No comments: