Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Weekend was a Success!

Our weekend was exactly what I'd expected it to be, a fantastic opportunity to catch up with an old friend, as well as the perfect occasion to break a few records. The records I’m talking about of course are how much stamina my children have and how late they can stay awake… We arrived safely in “the Hat” Friday night, after driving through substantial rain the entire way. We checked into our room, changed into the appropriate swim gear and headed for the pool. (These two insisted on wearing their goggles from the hotel room right down to the pool all weekend long!)


Mason went down the waterslide so many times before 9:30 (when the slide closed down) that I thought he’d suffer from serious leg cramps all night long. Not at all. After coming back to the room, changing into jammies and getting re-acquainted with his little friends from Regina, they went strong until…..

Wait for it….

12:38 am.

That’s right folks. These two kids could put the energizer bunny to shame. This is the picture I took at 11:18 pm. And I as I was taking it, I was thinking "C'mon already, how can't you be tired?"

And FINALLY, this is what they looked like at 12:38am. All I can say is that they have some serious stamina. And if they put their minds to it, they can outlast me and their Dad, no problem.
(Serves me right I suppose, to be a night owl myself. I just didn't anticipate it would happen this young in life.)
I was hopeful all the exercise would tire them out, but to be honest, I knew what we were in for.



The weekend was great. The kids had so much fun. It was such an easy way for the kids to be entertained and the adults to enjoy spending time together at the same time. I’m pleased to say that an “I’m Bored” was not heard ALL weekend long. I highly recommend taking kids to a hotel with a water slide, if your kids are like mine one bit, it won’t tire them out at all, but it sure keeps them happy!


The weather hasn’t gotten much better. Monday we reached a high of 9°. That’s right, a whopping 9° on June 8th. I am not sure where we can go… I don’t know how many choices we have. I’ve thought seriously about immigrating to the southern United States, perhaps we could claim polar COLD disorder or something like that. Or maybe we could say that we’re desperate to have a growing season longer than 3 months… I’m beginning to think that fleece pants and a hoodie are going to be part of my wardrobe all summer long.
With the daytime highs in the single digits, our lows too, are in single digits, sometimes a single digit with a negative/minus sign in front of it. I’m just not sure exactly how my tomato plant is going to fare through this, I don’t know if it’s going to pull through or not. All the other plants have behaved themselves for the most part, and maybe drooped slightly, with the frost, but bounced back. A person would seriously have thought that by June, we’d be in the clear… But apparently not in Calgary. This is how my poor children were dressed for the soccer game tonight. And I feel that I need to mention right now, that when we registered for soccer back in February, we weren’t wearing this much clothing. It’s just nuts.

At least the grass has turned green. We're heading off for our vacation in just a few short weeks, and we're hoping to wear bathing suits the majority of the time. I'm sure the weather will turn around!

No comments: