Monday, May 2, 2011

Birthday Girl

This little girl turned 6 today.

It seems impossible. Yet it's true. The years just fly by... I know everyone says it. I just can't believe how true it is. One minute they're a little baby, and the next they're nearly finished Kindergarten...

She got her hair done fancy [at her request] and wanted to wear a new dress. Things went smoothly until I picked her up from Kindergarten.

Me: "Hi Birthday girl! How was your day?"
Her: "For a happy birthday, there wasn't anything happy about it..." [Yes. She can be a bit of a diva] I don't know what happened for sure, but I think there was a little too much attention paid to her in class.

We tried our best, to shake that mood off and in the end, by the time we got to gymnastics, the snit was over. [thank goodness] Her coach told her that in the fall, she was old enough to come to the evening gymnastic class and that she could start earning badges, adding the deal sealer she'd be with the 'big girls'. As we left the gym, she said "Maybe my birthday won't turn out so bad after all".

This evening, we took the kids for dinner. The restaurant was her choice, since she was the birthday girl. Barry and I tried to give some suggestions, and suddenly Mason blurted out from the back seat "Don't listen to them Madelyn, or we'll end up going somewhere Mum & Dad want to go..." Which might have been a teeny tiny bit true. We were just trying to gently use the power of suggestion a bit. Didn't work. We had birthday dinner at Denny's, and the kids were as happy as happy could be.

Happy 6th Birthday sweet little girl. You keep me on my toes, and have me wondering what each day will bring. I love you to the moon and back, a million and a million, and a million...








No comments: