Monday, February 1, 2010

To Document... And WHAT to Document

D O C letter U 5731 / brooklyn subway M letter E N T

There it is... my word for 2010. Cool huh? You can do your own word too, just go here: spell with Flickr

I'm trying to document. In fact, I've done so much documenting that I've kind of become turned off it. Why? Because I don't know if I'm doing myself any justice.

I have kept up with January 2010, and as I look back at my compilation, I don't really seem too impressed with it. It's not telling any specific story. It's not capturing things that are extremely important. I'm capturing tidbits here and there... It's true that this is my daily life. It's the simple things that are a part of my every day... But am I really going to look back and say, "Wow girl, you did a LOT of laundry in January 2010" [Because that's ONE thing I kept track of... I did {drum roll....} 28 loads of laundry throughout the month of January. Some of the other random things I kept track of are as follows:

Groceries (big trips) 2 times
Movies in Theatre 1
Movies at home 5 (this is a HUGE number, we may never see numbers like this again...)
Visits to Gigi 1 (disappointed, my aim was 2 times a month)
Treadmill 8 times (attempting to do the treadmill m/w/f, which should be 12x/month)
Fast Food 6 times...(really surprised by that number...and that's not including Tim Hortons which is another 4 times...
Restaurants 5 times....(again, surprised by this number)

I looked back at some receipts I've kept (why?) and news clippings I've kept (what for?) I'm busy trying to capture the every day stuff, and focusing all my attention there, when our trip to Greece in 2008 sits half finished... I feel like I'm doing a lousy job keeping track of the every day, and only letting the things I really want to capture fall further behind...

So what on earth is a girl to do?

Well, I'll tell you what. I'm going to ponder it tonight, over the Bachelor...(trashy tv at it's best) And tomorrow, if I haven't figured out what to do, I'll ponder it some more while I watch the Season Premiere of LOST

No comments: