Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Easy-Peasy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam


I have been using up my rhubarb. I've made muffins, jam and yummy crumble. I can't decide whether or not to post recipes on my blog or not... Yay, or nay? The jam is my favourite. It tastes great on toast and muffins. [I bet it would even taste good on ice cream...]

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

4 cups halved or quartered firm strawberries [depending on size]
1 cup finely chopped rhubarb [my rhubarb was frozen]
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

1. Mix berries and sugar and let stand for 8 hours, stirring occasionally. [I cut my strawberries up quite small, I didn't want giant chunks in my jam]



2. Place berry mixture in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add lemon juice, return to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 24 hours.

3. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

4. Ladle into sterilized jars and process [short time processing procedure].

This amount made 4 - 235 ml jars. I made 2 separate batches.

I didn't take a picture of the Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble I made, but it was really good. A perfect balance between tart and sweet. And I suppose if I am to post its recipe it only makes sense to show a picture of it. I guess that means I'll have to make another one, isn't that a pity... [wink, wink]

No comments: