Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

I decided some time ago that this year I would not make any new year's resolutions. In the past I’ve made myself a bunch of promises that just don’t pan out. It’s a little bit like setting yourself up for failure, on the first day of the New Year. I like the idea that the New Year is wiping the slate clean and starting over. So to do start the New Year, knowing that it’s only a matter of time, before you fail, is no way to begin a new year. (Of course, it’s taken me a number of years to come to this conclusion) This year, I intend to use my 'word' to make changes to my life, that I will be held accountable for. As I mentioned in my last post, I've selected the word CHOICE for my word of 2009.

CHOICE- noun – the power to choose or the ability to choose between different things.

For me, this is empowering, with every choice that I make (and believe me, there are dozens a day) I get to think and ponder and deliberate over my options or choices. There is no scapegoat, or anyone else to blame, it is I who has the power to choose. If I choose to exercise or not, it’s up to me. If I decide to eat healthy or not, that is up to me. With every thing I do, I will be consciously making a decision, weighing the options, and dealing with the consequences, KNOWING it was my choice.

So, with that in mind, I head into 2009 feeling positive, rejuvenated and excited. I first came across this ‘word’ idea last December, reading Ali Edwards blog, she had chosen a word for herself and has done so for the past couple of years. You can check out Ali's words for 2007 and 2008 here, plus see a listing of dozens of words people have submitted. Perhaps you’ll be encouraged to find and live by your own word for 2009 as well. Another neat site to check out is this one.

I had my last leisurely sleep in this morning. The last few weeks around my house have been total bliss. It’s been sleep-ins and lazy mornings. We’re back to real life again on Monday, which will hit everyone hard. But we sure enjoyed our time off together. It’s about time to make the choice about getting up and getting going in the morning. No more late night’s scrapbooking (which isn’t a problem right now because the card reader on my computer still isn’t working- errr). I haven’t been able to download any Christmas pictures at all. This next week I will likely be spotted at Costco or Wal-Mart Kodak Kiosks, printing off my many pics!

No comments: