Monday, April 27, 2020

Quarantine Report

I have started this post 3 times.

The first time, was right in the heart of all the cancellations and uncertainties.

I cried a lot.

There was SO much we didn't know.

Now I've been home for 42 days. It's obviously feeling more 'normal' now, to not leave the house. Yet I don't want to forget what my feelings were at the beginning of this, so I've decided to go ahead and post this.

***

Thursday March 12th was the last day before all hell broke loose in our little corner of the world. It was the first time I 'd heard the word PANDEMIC be used in association with the coronavirus.  A global pandemic.

Mad's school trip was cancelled less than 36 hours before they were supposed to meet at the airport. Such a disappointment.

We keep waiting, hoping, that things will quickly go back to normal. The not knowing, is the hardest. 

At the beginning of this, I was trying to put on a brave face. Trying to act normal, when nothing that was happening was normal. 

Having said that, I grapple with opposite feelings all the time. For example:

I want everything to be back to normal AND I'm scared there will never be a 'normal' again.

I want to stay informed with what's going on AND I don't want to know the latest updates.

I am trying to be brave AND I'm feeling scared. 

I am making masks for my family AND the idea of having to wear one out in public couldn't be more foreign to me. 

I want to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription AND I look at everyone else like they could infect me. 

I want to see family/friends AND I'm afraid someone will get sick. 

Call it whatever you want, self-isolating, quarantine, sheltering in place, we have been home since the 13th of March.  We're making the most out of our situation. I couldn't be more tired of hearing the word unprecedented right now. 

I've been doing a ton of cooking and baking.  Meals are one thing that I have complete control over.

We're five weeks in, I'm not feeling nearly as panicked as I was at first.

It's the end of April and I can count on one hand how many times I've been in a grocery store in the past 5 weeks. One hand. And 5 weeks, actually feels a little like 10 weeks or more...

I'm obviously documenting this pandemic in my project life pages. All my recent layouts have been about it as well. It's pretty big and scary right now. 

This past week, we've seen a lot of the glorious sun. What a mood booster that is.

Grad was officially cancelled last week...

The Calgary Stampede was officially cancelled this week...

I'm just not sure that anything will be normal again...

Thankfully a ton of funnies and memes have shown up all over. It feels good to laugh, we need to keep doing that. Until such a time the we can get together in person again.

This too shall pass.







No comments: