Sunday, March 15, 2009

To Snack or not to Snack...

Pssst, listen up… I have something to share with you. Since January 30th, 2009, I’ve lost a whopping 10.8lbs with Weight Watchers. It’s not bad. In fact, I’m quite pleased with myself. The next time I head to the grocery store, I’m going to go directly to produce and pick up a 10 pound bag of potatoes, lift it up and down a bit.

I can’t say that I’ve really noticed a difference in my clothes (bummer) I’m pretty sure it’s ALL come off my “trip to Greece belly”. That’s right. When it’s +37° with humidity and you’re walking up ancient marble steps, and the difference between a bottle of beer and a bottle of water is a mere €.30, well forget about it, you BET I picked the ice cold beer! And while I was at it, why not order spanokapita to go with it, or a yummy Baklava. After all when you’re in Greece, do as the Greeks do! Being was on vacation, just the 2 of us, without our children, well let's just say there were definitely a few more indulgences in the area of food and drink… Enough said. Any way, the jelly-belly has diminished considerably, but the jeans fit pretty much the same. It’s a start at least.

Thankfully, once I get on the will-power wagon (which isn’t easy for me to do, but once I’m on, I’m on) I can put my mind to it, and be successful. I am anticipating that the first 10 lbs were the easiest ones to lose, I’m pretty sure the next 10 will be a challenge to say the least. Especially considering that in the past 6 wks, I have not once thought, “Gee, that was easy”. You know, come to think of it, WHERE is the easy button when you need it? A few things that I’ve done consistently are: have breakfast every day, drink more water (much more water) and decrease my portion size. I have added a minute sliver of exercise. I guess some is better than none, but in order to be successful, I think I’ll actually have to wrap my head around and embrace exercise.


My problem is I love salty snacks. Before I had babies I would have considered myself more of a sweets and chocolate girl. After having children that doesn’t float my boat the way the idea of chips & dip, or taco chips & salsa or, popcorn with LOTS of salt & butter do. Mmm…. Seriously, that’s the hardest part. But I have a few tricks. I’ve been eating raw veggies dipped in salsa (didn’t appeal to me the first time I heard about it, but it’s actually good) You get the snap/crunch of the veggies and the spiciness of the salsa. And guess what, ZERO points my friends! That’s what I’m talking about.

I also have a friend who recently gave me her recipe for home made chip dip (that’s right, you know who you are!). It’s easy-peasy and if you use fat-free sour cream a ¼ cup is only 1 point! Sweet! Of course it’s better to eat the baked potato chips with it, which are all right. Let’s be honest here, I am a chip girl. Maybe even a chip connoisseur… I know my chips, and I like the real thing. The full fat. The no-holds barred kind of chips, but a girl has to make some smart choices you know. For now, it seems to be working for me.

No comments: