Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Heart Day!

This is what Valentine’s Day looked like at our house this year. I started the morning off with heart shaped pancakes and strawberries. The kids didn’t co-operate though, because they didn’t want ‘strawberries to touch their pancakes’. By the time it was my and Barry’s turn to eat, I was too hungry to pause long enough for picture taking. I made the pancakes from scratch… Pretty Suzy Homemaker of me, I'm thinking. I got the recipe off of Good ole Martha’s website… Were they easy to do, well the batter was simple, but was it easy creating hearts? No. Pancake batter is pretty close to liquid. It’s pretty hard to get liquid to do what you want. Did they look like Martha’s? Not quite, but I didn't really expect them to. They looked like mine, and the kids were ecstatic, enough said.


After breakfast, I gave the kids and Barry the few little crafty Valentine’s things I’d done for them. Cards for everyone, little fruit cups filled w/goodies, (I found the idea on a stamping blog somewhere) a frame for Barry and a little Love book. Madelyn looked up at me and said, “This is a lovely surprise Mummy”.





We then got dressed to deliver a few Valentine’s. Maddy got dressed up for a bit of a photo shoot in the new boots, hat, coat and mitts Auntie Pat got her. I LOVE Joe stuff… Isn't she the sweetest little Valentine girl?


On the way to the neighbors house to deliver a Valentine...



The kids helped Barry with some shoveling, so after they came in from the cold, I made them hot chocolate with heart shaped marshmallows. Much excitement from them about that! The mugs used to by my Grandma’s. She used to make me my very own cup of tea using these little mugs… They make me smile every time I see them.


I got this lovely bouquet from Barry and the kids. And a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates… (I wonder are how many points each chocolate is...) It was a delightful day. It’s so great to make these wonderful memories for my kids. I don’t know who gets more excited about things like this, me or them…

Finally, after waiting, and waiting, and much anticipation, we went to Boston Pizza for our heart shaped pizza. This year, Uncle Chris joined us again, and we have a couple of newbie’s… Ama & Baba joined us too. In the past, they’ve always been in Mesa, AZ during Valentine’s Day, so we were glad to share our ritual with them too. Great fun was had by all, and not even that much chocolate was consumed. I deem it a success!







No comments: