Saturday, September 8, 2018

School Starts and December Daily Thoughts

Well, we've got the first week school under our belts.

First day of school photos, taken 5 1/2 hours apart.

First day as a Grade 8 student. Madelyn leaves the house at 7:05 this year, which hurts. It's a smidge earlier than least year. School times and bus pick up times have changed. We made it though. She got up 4 mornings, without too much fuss. She even let me do her hair.


This one lucked out, he didn't have to be at school until 1:50. What's the point even? But he got to have one last sleep in, waking up well rested and ready to start school the first day of Grade 11.  Grade 11... That has happened shockingly fast. And that hair... Crazy boy definitely has the hockey flow going this year.


We've also been eased back into our schedule rather slowly. Just school this week, with no commitments in the evenings. We didn't have our first ice time until Friday night. In the past, we hit the ground running, the first day of school. So this was very appreciated. We will now be on the ice until March.

Last year, on the first day of school it was hot. 30 degrees Celsius. This year, it was not. I think the high was 13 degrees. It was chilly, rainy, windy and cold.

It warmed up by Thursday and Friday [the photo below was taken Thursday morning, it's of the Peace Bridge downtown] but the damage has been done. Trees are changing colours and the leaves are dropping like dead flies.



I want to love this time of year, I really do. But I know what comes after fall... The colours are lovely, and it's so pretty, but once the leaves are gone, the snow comes. My entire backyard was full of snow back in April. So much snow, I thought it would never all melt. And people, I don't have to tell you, that was only 5 months ago...

So the idea of snowfall and shovelling, well it doesn't really appeal.

Speaking of snow, Ali Edwards December Daily is all the rage and trending currently. Kits went on sale Wednesday. I LOVE Ali. She has been such a huge inspiration to me over the years. I realize that this is her business, her bread and butter. It just seems like her prices are always creeping up.

Initially, you bought the December Daily kit. The first time I did that, it included an album, page protectors and all the papers, journal cards, embellishments etc.

Then it was changed up, and you could buy all the pieces separately. You could choose between different albums, main kits, mini kits, embellishments, it became quite the ordeal.  Why would I not automatically want an album to house everything? It seemed strange to me, that the album didn't come included. [And if you remember, last year, my album fiasco, I thought I'd ordered one, but somewhere along the way, de-selected it during the ordering process] Last year, the December Daily seemed rather crazed. Only 'limited amounts of this and that'. Only so many albums. Stock was not being replenished. I got caught right up in it, and it was stressful.

This year, I watched a bit warily, as the December Daily hype started to build up toward the end of August. Again with the limited product available. Again with the mark the date and time of release on your calendar. Now you were to 'refresh' your screen lots, in case something became available, after another customer 'accidentally removed it from their cart' [I joke]

But here's the thing. 6x8 albums this year are selling for $24.99 each. Yes, it includes page protectors, but that seems really steep to me.

Plus, international shipping is a $15 flat rate. So that becomes $40 for me to just order an album. And that's $40 in US prices. So, like Heather Land says, "I ain't don it". I'm out.

This year, I'm going to create my own December Daily album. I have several album options. I will plan on preparing it before hand, like I have in the past. I have enough left over DD supplies from past years, that I'll be able to add a bit of flair here and there.

What I've realized, is the most important thing, is to get the stories down. It really doesn't matter what I use to do that, as long as I do that.

I'm already looking forward to this year album and stories.


No comments: