Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Around here... August 2018

It's been a very long time, since I've posted anything other than storytelling/scrapbook projects. I used to use this blog as more of a tool to document daily life. Then I started doing project life. Blogging about our every day seemed a bit redundant, when I was posting weekly layouts of it. I thought I would take a moment to document what's happening "Around here' at this point in time:  

Around here… We are smack dab in the midst of some renovations. We’ve completed our plumbing project [insert trumpets here]  which has been on the horizon for quite some time.  It feels amazing to have one less worry that we’ll come home and slosh through water somewhere in our house. [Not an exaggeration, speaking from experience] 

Around here… We no longer have a ceiling in our family room. It’s gone. All gone. And I’m feeling a mixture of shell-shocked and overwhelmed. Everything in our house is currently covered with a thin layer of fine white drywall dust, and it’s going to get worse before it gets better. 

  

Around here… We’re a week away from the start of school. Although the kids are trying to protest the start of school, I’m finally ready to get everyone back into some sort of routine. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking forward to early mornings, or the craziness that will ensue once school, hockey and ringette start, but I’m ready for a little bit of structure. 

Around here... We've had the worst smoke haze laying across the city for the past few weeks. It's been awful, it makes you not even want to go outside and breath it in. We did have a camping trip to the mountains booked, and we went through with it. In spite of the smoke, we had a good time. 


Around here… This week I’ve given both kids a 2 hour limit per day on screens and video games. They are NOT happy about it, but it’s something I should have implemented and insisted happen, two months ago. 

Around here… My heart just walked out the door. Mason is getting in a car with his driving friend. Another teenager… Oy. Being on the ‘parent side’ of things is hard. No one warns you how you’ll literally feel sick to your stomach when this scenario arises, when you’re snuggling your brand new baby…

Around here…I have been reading like crazy. My last trip the library was epic. So many awesome titles. I’m currently reading The Secrets Between Us by Thrity Umrigar, and really enjoying it. 



Around here… Tomatoes on our counter, that we have grown ourselves! So looking forward to enjoying toasted tomato sandwiches for lunch, in the days to come. 



Around here…Preparing my heart for the onslaught of ice times and rink visits that I know await us as we roll into September. This year we get a bit of reprieve though, as Mad doesn’t start the evaluation process on the very first day of school. 

Around here… Figuring out Mad’s new bus stop schedule and trying to figure out where she gets on and off the school bus. The maps come out, but they’re ‘generalized’ not specific. So the first day is a bit of a guess…

Around here… Enjoying making home made burrito bowls and egg roll in a bowl. Barry and I are over the moon about them, and I would put them on constant rotation if I could. The kids, not quite as crazy about them, but too bad, so sad, it’s not all about them… 



Around here…The furnace has come on the last couple of mornings. There is a chill in the air, and the leaves are all beginning to change a bit. I mourn the end of summer, because let’s face it, it’s awesome. But I do love fall. The colours. The crisp air. Crunchy leaves. And, let’s not forget, Pumpkin Spice Lattes…

Around here…This month I was a guest Creative Member for Paislee Press. Felt lucky to have been given the opportunity to create with Liz’s beautiful product. Here are my creations:






Around here…We watched the series Alone, season 5, as a family. We all could hardly wait for it to be on each week. We all had an idea who we thought would be victorious, and we were all wrong. I could never do something like that. My over-active imagination would have me high-tailing it out of there, night one. These people are so competent, and courageous. It's been fun to watch this together this summer.  

Around here…I can’t read anything without my readers on. I have them on every floor. I have them in the car. I have them in my purse. Unbeknownst to me, I sometimes have on two pairs at a time. [Sorry Mum, that I mocked you years ago. I get it now] 

That's a wrap of August's Around here. Maybe I'll be more mindful and be able to do one of these each month. 

No comments: